Preparation: 15 minutes. standing Cook: 25 minutes.
Upgraded: Oct. 29, 2023
I keep in mind taking pleasure in these dumplings as a kid with roast pork or svickova, which is a Czech dish for braised beef roast. My grandpa was Bohemian and this was among his preferred side meals. My mom consisted of a copy of the dish in a dish card collection she provided to me when I transferred to college.– Peggy Woodward, Shullsburg, Wisconsin
- 2 cups versatile flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 pieces white bread, toasted and cut into 1/2-inch squares
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup water
- Gravy, warmed
- Fresh thyme leaves, optional
- In a big bowl, integrate the very first 5 components. Stir in milk and adequate water to be able to form mix into a loaf. End up onto a gently floured surface area. Forming into an 8×4-in. dumpling loaf. Cover and let stand 10 minutes.
- Bring 12 cups water to a boil in a Dutch oven. Carefully include dumpling; return water to a simmer. Cover and simmer 15 minutes. Turn dumpling over. Cover and simmer up until a toothpick placed in center comes out tidy, 8-12 minutes longer. Carefully get rid of to a cutting board utilizing 2 slotted spoons. Utilizing a serrated knife, carefully cut into pieces. Serve warm with gravy. If wanted, spray with thyme.
1 piece: 142 calories, 1g fat (0 hydrogenated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 636mg salt, 28g carb (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.